Tom Yum SoupDec 02, 2015
TOM YUM SOUP
1 small tomato, diced
1 small onion, sliced
1 large carrot, sliced
5 cups water heated in a kettle
1 cup diced tofu, fried (optional)
7-8 slices galangal (or ginger), peeled
2 lemongrass stalks, bruised, cut in large slices
1-2 small red chilies, sliced
5-6 slices garlic
3 kaffir leaves, stem removed
2 cups chopped mixed vegetables (such as, broccoli, mushrooms, spinach, baby corn)
2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
1-2 teaspoons sugar
½ – 1 teaspoon red curry paste or chili paste
1 can coconut milk
bean sprouts and coriander leaves to garnish
2 small limes, cut in half
- In a soup pot, sauté tomato, onion and carrot until just soft, 1-2 minutes.
- Add water and next 10 ingredients, bring to boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Adjust for desired taste and spiciness; flavour should be sweet, spicy and sour; vegetables should be al dente.
- Add coconut milk and incorporate until heated.
- Remove from heat and divide evenly between 4 bowls. Top every bowl with bean sprouts, coriander leaves, juice of ½ lime.
- The traditional way of eating is with a soup spoon and chopsticks taking a little broth with a little vegetable. Use caution to not eat the lemongrass, galangal or chili slices.